This GMAT Math practice question is a problem solving question in counting methods. A very interesting GMAT 650 to 700 level sample question.
Question 4: There are 6 boxes numbered 1, 2,....6. Each box is to be filled up either with a red or a green ball in such a way that at least 1 box contains a green ball and the boxes containing green balls are consecutively numbered. The total number of ways in which this can be done is ___
If only one of the boxes has a green ball, it can be any of the 6 boxes. So, we have 6 possibilities.
If two of the boxes have green balls and then there are 5 consecutive sets of 2 boxes. 12, 23, 34, 45, 56.
If 3 of the boxes have green balls, there are 4 possibilities: 123, 234, 345, 456.
If 4 boxes have green balls, there are 3 possibilities: 1234, 2345, 3456.
If 5 boxes have green balls, there are 2 possibilities: 12345, 23456.
If all 6 boxes have green balls, there is just 1 possibility.
Total number of possibilities = 6 + 5 + 4 + 3 + 2 + 1 = 21.
1. GMAT Permutation Combination Practice | 600 level PS question | Rearranging letters
2. GMAT Permutation Practice Question | 650 to 700 level question | Selecting & Rearranging Letters
3. GMAT Probability Practice Question | 600 level | Rearranging letters of a word
4. GMAT Probability Practice Question | 650 to 700 Level Question | Counting Methods
5. GMAT Probability Practice | Mutually Exclusive Collectively Exhaustive Events
6. GMAT Permutation Practice Question | Sampling with replacement
7. GMAT Permutation Sample Question | GMAT Coin Toss | GMAT 600 Level Question Permutation Combination
8. GMAT Permutation Combination | GMAT Sample Questions | GMAT 600 Level Practice Question
9. GMAT Permutation Combination | GMAT Sample Questions | GMAT 600 to 650 Level Practice Question
10. GMAT Permutation and Probability | GMAT Data Sufficiency | GMAT 700 Level Sample Questions
11. Selecting From Identical Objects | GMAT Permutation and Probability | GMAT Sample Questions
12. GMAT Permutation and Probability | GMAT 600 to 650 level | GMAT Sample Questions
13. GMAT Permutation Combination and Probability | Numbers & Digits | GMAT Sample Questions | 650 level
14. GMAT Permutation Combination and Probability | Numbers & Digits | GMAT 650 to 700 level Questions
15. GMAT Permutation Combination | Tossing Coins | 650 Level Practice | Online Preparation
GMAT® is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC). This website is not endorsed or approved by GMAC.
GRE® is a registered trademarks of Educational Testing Service (ETS). This website is not endorsed or approved by ETS.
SAT® is a registered trademark of the College Board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse this product.
Wizako - GMAT, GRE, SAT Prep
An Ascent Education Initiative
14B/1 Dr Thirumurthy Nagar 1st Street
Chennai 600 034. India