The GMAT quant practice question is about finding the remainder when the product of 4 numbers is divided by a divisor. Knowledge of a rule of remainders that the remainder of product is the same as the product of remainders is needed to solve this question.
Question 8: What is the remainder when 1044 * 1047 * 1050 * 1053 is divided by 33?
You can solve this problem if you know this rule about remainders.
Let a number x divide the product of A and B.
The remainder will be the product of the remainders when x divides A and when x divides B.
Using this rule,
The remainder when 33 divides 1044 is 21.
The remainder when 33 divides 1047 is 24.
The remainder when 33 divides 1050 is 27.
The remainder when 33 divides 1053 is 30.
∴ the remainder when 33 divides 1044 * 1047 * 1050 * 1053 is 21 * 24 * 27 * 30.
Note: The remainder when a number is divided by a divisor 'd' will take values from 0 to (d - 1). It will not be equal to or more than 'd'.
The value of 21 * 24 * 27 * 30 is more than 33.
When the value of the remainder is more than the divisor, the final remainder will be the remainder of dividing the product by the divisor.
i.e., the final remainder is the remainder when 33 divides 21 * 24 * 27 * 30.
When 33 divides 21 * 24 * 27 * 30, the remainder is 30.
1. Number Systems | Types of Numbers | Chart
2. Number Properties | Rational & Irrational Numbers
3. GMAT Number Properties | Indices & Rule of Exponents
4. Number Systems | Surds & Conjugates
5. Number Properties | Tests of divisibility
6. Number Properties | How to check whether a number is prime?
7. Number Properties | How to prime factorize a number?
8. GMAT Number Theory | Prime factorization | Properties of squares & cubes
9. Number Properties | What is HCF? | How to find HCF?
10. Number Properties | What is LCM? | How to find LCM?
11. 3 important properties of LCM & HCF | LCM & HCF of fractions
12. Number Properties | When to use LCM and HCF?
13. Number Theory | How to find number of factors?
14. Number Theory | Number of ways to express as a product of 2 factors
15. Number Theory | Sum of all factors of a number
16. Number Theory | Product of all factors of a number
17. Number Theory | Remainders of sum & product
18. Number Theory | Remainder of dividing xn by 'd'
19. Polynomials | Remainder when a monomial divides it
20. Number Theory | Highest power of a prime that divides factorial of 'n'
21. Number Theory | Highest power of a composite number that divides factorial of 'n'
22. Number Theory | Number of trailing zeroes in a number
23. Number Theory | Unit digit of higher powers of numbers
GMAT® is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC). This website is not endorsed or approved by GMAC.
GRE® is a registered trademarks of Educational Testing Service (ETS). This website is not endorsed or approved by ETS.
SAT® is a registered trademark of the College Board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse this product.
Wizako - GMAT, GRE, SAT Prep
An Ascent Education Initiative
14B/1 Dr Thirumurthy Nagar 1st Street
Chennai 600 034. India